Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

My relationship with my bathroom

One of the early scene of Eat, Pray, Love shows Julia Roberts in the bathroom devastated and praying for guidance.  I can relate to that.  When I was going through difficult moments of my life, I've spent many nights crying and praying in the bathroom.  It was the only place I can be on my own and totally release my emotions without fear that the kids will see me cry.

Looking back, I've always had a unique relationship with my bathroom.  I recalled hiding in the bathroom to study for exams when I was living with my aunt and half a dozen of cousins through secondary school.  That was the only place in the condominium we shared where I get time alone to study without distractions and imposing on the others.

The bathroom has been my sanctuary.  With all the different roles and responsibilities, I especially crave for time alone.  The bathroom is the easiest escape for me.  It is where I now find time for myself soaking in the bathtub over a glass of wine, favorite music playing off my iPod and browsing through a book or magazine.

I am glad I no longer go through nights throwing up over the toilet bowl from too much alcohol.  My relationship with my bathroom reflects the state of mind I am in and the journey of my life.  Nowadays, I occasionally practice yoga poses and dance to my favorite songs in my bathroom.  I am thankful where life leads me and I am thankful for my bathroom.

No comments: