Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Let's run

If you question someone why they enjoy running, you'd probably never tried running. I'm not talking about running on a treadmill in an air-conditioned room with your eyes glued to the TV.  I'm talking about running outside, feeling the wind on your face and having a change of scenery every step you take.

For me, running is therapeutic. I let my mind go and simply allow my body to feel the rhythm. I either run listening to my ipod and letting the music pump me up. Or taking it slow soaking in the view that pass by.

In San Francisco, I ran along the pier loving the gorgeous view of the sea, the bridge and the islands far ahead. The cool breeze brushing on my face. In Singapore, I ran along the river. Enjoying a quiet Clark Quay, Boat Quay and Robertson Quay before taking a pause at my favorite old bridge in front of the Fullerton Hotel. In Jakarta, my routine is a run in my neighborhood; the street vendors pushing their carts, people walking their dogs, the beautiful flowers and fruit trees.  No cool breeze in Jakarta but I love how the sky turns orange when the sun starts to warm the air.  Occasionally, you can smell the fragrance of the frangipani trees.

I don't think of anything when I run. Perhaps that's what meditation is all about. Just feeling the run and enjoying the moment.  It helps me unwind and keeps me fit.

For those who've not tried running, let's put on your running shoes and take the first step to go outside and just run. Enjoy your run.

No comments: