Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

My eulogy

What happened to people when they die?  We all ultimately die but what exactly happened when we die?  As I am confronted by deaths of people close to me, this question has been bugging me.  Or should I say I’m confronted by my own mortality.

I won't attempt to address a question I don't have the answer.   Recalled going for 7 Habits training many years ago.  As part of the exercise, we were asked to spend quiet moment thinking about what we want people to remember us when we pass away.  What do we want those close to us to say for our eulogy? 

It was exactly a life-changing exercise but it was an epiphany.   Although I no longer keep the piece of written exercise, I am sure what I wanted then remains.  Basically I want my eulogy to read as such:
  • She’s been a wonderful person who embraces life whole-heartedly and brings out the best in people.
  • She’s kind, generous and loving to people indiscriminately.
  • She’s loves her kids unconditionally and nurtured them to be loving, kind, considerate, responsible and independent individuals.
  • She’s a great friend willing to lend a helping hand and shoulder to cry on.
  • She had picked herself up, brushed off the dust, licked her wounds, learned from the experiences life has handed her and moved on wiser and stronger.
  • She’s not perfect but she’s true to herself and others.

I realize I still have a lot of work to do.  Knowing I’m not immortal, there’s really no excuse not to get started.  Time is ticking away.

No comments: